admin's blog

Did you donate to a charity? You may be able to claim a charitable donation tax credit


If you donated to a registered Canadian charity or other qualified donee that provides official donation receipts, you may qualify for a charitable donation tax credit when you file your income tax and benefit return.

Where do you get an official donation receipt?

To claim a charitable donation tax credit, you must get an official donation receipt from a registered Canadian charity or other qualified donee.

Some examples of other qualified donees are:

To see whether a charity is registered and is able to give official donation receipts, use the MyCRA web app or go to

How long should you keep a charitable donation receipt?

You should keep your official donation receipts for six years after the end of the tax year for which you made a claim, in case the Canada Revenue Agency asks to see them.

What donations qualify for a charitable donation tax credit?

Donations of cash, goods, land, and listed securities to a registered charity or other qualified donee may be eligible for a charitable donation tax credit.

How do you calculate your charitable donation tax credit?

To calculate your charitable donation tax credit, you first need to figure out the eligible amount of your charitable donations. Once you know that amount, you need to decide how much you want to claim. In any one tax year, you can claim:

  • donations you made by December 31 of that year
  • any unclaimed donations you made in the previous five years
  • any unclaimed donations your spouse or common-law partner made during the year or in the last five years

You can claim eligible donations of up to 75% of your net income. Gifts of certified cultural property or ecologically sensitive land are not limited to a percentage of your net income.

For a quick estimate of your charitable donation tax credit for the current tax year, use MyCRA to access the charitable donation tax credit calculator.

Are you a first-time donor?

You are considered a first-time donor if you or your spouse or common-law partner have not claimed and been allowed a charitable donation tax credit after 2007. If you qualify, you may be able to claim the first‑time donor’s super credit. However, only gifts of money are eligible. For donations made after March 20, 2013, qualifying first-time donors may receive an additional federal tax credit of 25% on the first $1,000 of monetary donations.

For more information on charities, donations, and charitable donation tax credits, go to


For more information contact any member of our tax team.

This information was made available at:

Eligible educators: you can now claim your school supplies

The Government of Canada values the contribution teachers make providing young Canadians with the education and skills they need to join a strong middle class.

There is a new refundable tax credit for 2016 and beyond: the Eligible Educator School Supply Tax Credit. If you are an eligible educator you can now claim a 15% refundable tax credit on up to $1,000 of supply purchases per year.

Who is eligible?

You can only claim this tax credit if you are a teacher or early childhood educator employed at an elementary or secondary school or a regulated child care facility:

  • You must have a teacher’s certificate that is valid in the province or territory where you are employed; or
  • You must have a certificate or diploma in early childhood education that is recognized in the province or territory where you are employed.

What kinds of teaching supplies are eligible?

For your supplies to be eligible for this credit, they must be:

  • purchased in the taxation year by an eligible educator;
  • used in a school or in a regulated child care facility for teaching or helping students learn;
  • not reimbursable and not subject to an allowance or other form of assistance (unless the reimbursement, allowance or assistance is included in the income of the teacher or educator and not deductible); and
  • not deducted or used in calculating a deduction from any person’s income for any taxation year.

Some examples of eligible supplies include:

  • construction paper;
  • flashcards;
  • items for science experiments;
  • art supplies;
  • various writing materials
  • games and puzzles;
  • books for the classroom; and
  • educational support software.

If you claim this tax credit, the CRA may ask you to provide a certification from your employer attesting to the eligible supplies expense. You should request the certification from your employer in a timely manner and keep it in your files, along with your receipts, in case the CRA requests it.

For more information contact any member of our tax team or consult the Department of Finance Canada's Budget 2016 documents.

This information was made available at:

Newcomer to Canada? What you need to know to do your taxes

If you are a newcomer to Canada for all or part of a tax year (January 1 to December 31), you need to do your taxes (file an income tax and benefit return) if you receive or want to receive certain benefits and credits, want to claim a refund, or have to pay tax. Everything you need to know is available at Find information on getting your social insurance number, filing a tax return, applying for benefits and credits, contacting the Canada Revenue Agency if you need assistance, and tax treaties. 

Important facts

  • You become a resident of Canada for income tax purposes when you establish significant residential and social ties in Canada. Examples include having a home, or a spouse or common-law partner in Canada. You usually establish these ties the date you arrive in Canada. For more information, go to Do you have to file a return?
  • You should still do your taxes even if you have little or no income to report. By filing an income tax and benefit return, you might be able to get benefits and credits such as the goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) credit and the Canada child benefit. Your spouse or common-law partner also has to do their taxes each year for you to receive benefit and credit payments that you may be eligible to receive.
  • If you need help preparing your tax return, have a modest income and a simple tax situation, you may be able to get help from the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP). The CVITP is collaboration between the Canada Revenue Agency and community organizations across Canada. These organizations hold tax preparation clinics, and their volunteers can prepare and submit your tax return for you free of charge. For more information, go to
  • Remember you need to file on time to make sure there are no interruptions to your Canada child benefit, GST/HST credit, and child disability benefit payment!

Once you do your taxes for the first time and receive a notice of assessment from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), you’ll be able register for My Account and access all of the CRA’s online, self-service options. Online services make doing your taxes faster and easier. You’ll be able to use them to help file your tax return, make a payment, track the status of your return, register for online mail, apply for benefits, and more. Register for My Account at

As a newcomer, it's important to understand your tax obligations and the benefits and credits available to you. CRA has created some videos to help you: Newcomers to Canada and the Canadian Tax System and New to Canada? Learn about Taxes (also available in FrenchArabicCantonesePunjabi and Spanish).


For more tax questions or additional information, contact any member of our tax team.

This information was made available at: